- home page
- about the community council
About the Community Council
The British Community Council, Lisbon, brings together English speaking people from many walks of life to enjoy a wide variety of social, sporting and cultural events and helps support many charitable organisations. It offers opportunities to make new friends, discover new activities, explore Portugal and keep in touch with the English speaking community. Our members represent a broad spectrum of nationalities and range from those who have lived in the Lisbon area for many years to recent arrivals. New members to any of our member organisations are always very welcome and have found joining one or more of the activities a good way to meet people and to settle into a new country. Each member activity is run and organised independently.
There is a busy programme of events running throughout the year. These include weekly and monthly regular activities as well as seasonal events. The many organisations cater for all age groups and interests and new ideas are always welcome. The following list (by no means exhaustive) gives you an idea of the activities:
- Families: All school events, Church services, barbecues
- Daytime Activities: Bridge, club and business lunches, bazaars, walks
- Evening Entertainment: Pub / quiz nights, lectures, dinner / dance evenings, theatre
- Sporting Activities: Hockey, cricket, rugby, football, Scottish country dancing, golf, tennis, squash, sailing etc.
- Weekends Away: Sight-seeing, golf, cultural (historical) trips etc.
- Charities: Trash and Treasure (shop), Retirement Home, British Charitable Funds, WRVS, Riding for the Disabled, British Legion
If you are looking for information about any one of our member organisations or would like to join one or more please visit our Members Page for details and contact information.