This year, the National Public Speaking Competition took place on the 4th of March. Just like last year, the weather was wet and a bit chilly, but that didn’t deter twenty participants from taking part in the competition at the British Council in Lisbon. The standard of the speeches this year was very high and they kept the audience enthralled throughout the competition.
Report compiled by Jackie Kennard and Mark Crathorne.
On Saturday, 10th March, 25 Members of the British Historical Society of Portugal visited Monserrate in Sintra to view the “Monserrate Revisited” exhibition to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Sir Francis Cook (1817-1901). Fortunately the weather held out and we were able to have a guided tour of the beautiful gardens, led by two key figures of their restoration- Gerald Luckhurst and Emma Gilbert.
On Saturday, 23rd January, the British Historical Society of Portugal held their annual lunch with a guest speaker, followed by a visit to the Lines of Torres Vedras Visitors’ Centre at Sobral de Monte Agraço and the nearby Manueline Church of São Quintino.
Dear Audience and supporters of the Lisbon Players,
Aware of your concerns about the future of our beloved theatre, even as we celebrate Lisbon Players’ 70th year in Estrela Hall, we would like to share some recent news.
Naturally our preference has always been to consult and inform members about such major matters, but as the smallest cog in a complex machine, we have little influence on the pace of negotiations.
British, Portuguese and Spanish residents gathered in the British Cemetery in Elvas on 11th November to remember the 60,000 British and their Allies who fell during the Peninsular War.
Article by Edward Godfrey, the British Historical Society of Portugal
On 4 November twenty-nine members of the Society visited the Museu de Cerâmica de Sacavém, The museum was opened in 2000, being an initiative of the Câmara Municipal de Loures, on the site of the former Fábrica de Loiça de Sacavém and seeks to preserve the memory of that factory. The centrepiece of the museum is kiln number 18 which remains in its original position.
On 26th October, the Parede locality group held a charity coffee morning in aid of breast cancer patients at Lisbon’s Santa Maria Hospital. Kindly hosted by Chris Rola at her home in Murtal, 32 members and guests attended, raising 420.50 euros for this worthy cause. The minimum 5 eur admission was supplemented by cake sales. In addition, 56 scarves were collected for cancer patients suffering hair loss due to chemotherapy. Some scarves had been donated by members unable to attend the coffee morning, as was a generous cash sum.
Report by Jackie and Selwyn Kennard
CAPTAIN CONWAY SHIPLEY, ROYAL NAVY 1782 – 1808
MONUMENT REDEDICATION DINNER
Wednesday, 20th September 2017at The Forte de São Julião da Barra, Oeiras
Article by Jackie and Selwyn Kennard
Almost 2 years after Jackie & Selwyn Kennard and David Wright were made aware of the poor condition of the monument to Captain Conway Shipley at Paço do Arcos, and started to organise its restoration, the rededication ceremony was held at 11.00 on Thursday 21st September 2017.
We have been asked to reproduce in full the texts of the speeches delivered at the 2 events held in September 2017 to rededicate the restored monument to Captain Conway Shipley, Royal Navy. 1782-1808.
The speeches are published here in the order in which they were given:
Captain Peter Hore Captain Hore, on behalf of The 1805 Club, at dinner on the evening prior to the ceremony
Dr Paulo César Sanches Casinhas da Silva, President of Oeiras Town Council (Câmara Municipal de Oeiras), at the unveiling of the restored monument.
HM Ambassador, Mrs Kirsty Hayes, at the lunch offered by Oeiras Town Council after the ceremony.